Energizer e2 AA Lithium Batteries - my choice for Kilimanjaro
Posted on January 7, 2006 in Climbing, Kilimanjaro, Equipment, Sport
As I’m taking a number of devices up Kilimanjaro that require battery power such as my GPS, Camera and Head Torch I did a bit of research to see which batteries would be the best to use in the freezing cold temperatures at the top of Kilimanjaro.
I came to the conclusion that the Energizer e2 AA Lithium Battery would be my battery of choice for the mountain. Although rechargeables was an option, on Kilimanjaro there’s not going to be a power source for performing a recharge. According to the Energizer site the properties of the e2 battery are as follows:
- Lithium takes up to 600 pictures while leading ordinary alkaline only takes up to 90 pictures
- Weigh 1/3 less than standard alkaline batteries
- Performs in even the most extreme temperatures from -40 to 60 degrees C
- 15-year shelf life
The main area you need to address on Kilimanjaro is how your batteries respond in the cold so the temperature rating on these batteries is what got my attention. I bought 10 packs of 2 (20 batteries) to take up the mountain with me, some off e-bay and the rest from the Small Battery Company.
Related and Useful Articles
- How should I handle my camera in cold weather from MountainNomad
- Petzl Battery Information – Cost, Duration and Weight from SafariQuip (very good comparison of the performance of batteries in different conditions)
- Hardware Tips: Longer Life, Lower costs for all your Gadgets batteries from PCWorld
· Email this article