Rab Neutrino Endurance Down Jacket - 2004/05 Model
Posted on December 23, 2005 in Climbing, Kilimanjaro, Equipment, Sport
I recently acquired this jacket as it’s one of the many layers I need for my Kilimanjaro ascent. I bought it at Outdoor Mega Store for GBP150 (RRP GBP200) and have to say I’m very impressed with it as it keeps you nice and warm. Only down side is that the hood is not detachable.
By combining Pertex Quantum (the lightest down proof fabric) with 96% pure white goose down we have produced a superlight and compressible down jacket that lofts well, packs small and will form a vital part of any ‘fast and light’ mountain system.
- Filled with 220g of our finest quality 96% Polish goose down (750+EU 850+US fill power)
- Stitch-through construction provides a simple yet effective method of containing the down
- Elasticated hem provides a secure seal at the base of the jacket keeping warmth in and cold out with one handed pulls for ease of use
- Fixed filled down hood with draw-cord closure and stiffened visor protects against heat loss
- Two external zipped hand-warmer pockets and one inner zipped security pocket provide for all your storage requirements
- Full-length lightweight reversible YKK zip
- Velcro adjustable cuffs for a secure seal against the elements
- Provided with a stuff sac
- Weight 600g
The care section of their site also provides the following useful maintenance tips for RAB down filled products:
- Store uncompressed out of direct sunlight in a dry, cool place.
If item becomes damp:
- Air thoroughly
- If unsuccessful, a short program in a tumble dryer on a ‘cool’ setting should restore the loft.
RAB down products can be home cleaned, however this is a difficult and time consuming job. Please give it careful consideration before starting.
- Carefully hand-wash the item in warm water (40°C) with a soap solution, NOT DETERGENT.
- Rinse thoroughly, making sure there is no soap residue present within the product.
- Squeeze out all excess water gently with your hands and transfer item with care to a washing machine. A delicate ‘spin’ programme is recommended.
- If you are cleaning a box walled garment or sleeping bag, ensure that the weight of the item is supported by ‘cradling’ in a bath towel or similar. Failure to do so may result in damage to the down compartments
- Immediate tumble drying should commence in a commercial dryer on a ‘cool’ setting. Check the item periodically and repeatedly turn inside out. The down contained within the baffling may require further manipulation in order to restore the loft.
- Avoid the temptation to remove the item from the dryer too soon. Although the outer fabrics may feel dry and warm to the touch; down contained within the baffling can still be clumped because of moisture.
- The drying process can take several hours. When finished it is advisable to store uncompressed in a dry, cool place. Airing should continue for two days before use.
· Email this article
Next entry: Brecon Beacons 8 Peaks Challenge